|Numéro de publication||US2470869 A|
|Type de publication||Octroi|
|Date de publication||24 mai 1949|
|Date de dépôt||21 déc. 1945|
|Date de priorité||21 déc. 1945|
|Numéro de publication||US 2470869 A, US 2470869A, US-A-2470869, US2470869 A, US2470869A|
|Inventeurs||Schmidt Francis J|
|Cessionnaire d'origine||Peter Schmidt Corp|
|Exporter la citation||BiBTeX, EndNote, RefMan|
|Citations de brevets (5), Référencé par (64), Classifications (8)|
|Liens externes: USPTO, Cession USPTO, Espacenet|
. May 24, 1949. I F. J. SCHMIDT 2,470,869
COLLAPSIBLE BENCH Filed Dec. 21, 1945 INVEN'I'OIZ.
FenA/c/s J SCI- M1077 m; Mm Arm ATTOENEY5 Patented May 24, 1949 COLLAPSIBLE. BENCH Francis J. Schmidt, Wauwatosa, Wis, assignor to The Peter-Schmidt Corporation, Chicago, 111., a corporation of Illinois Application December 21, 1945, Serial No. 636,362
*7 Claims. (Cl. 155-151) This invention relates to improvements in benches and the like.
It is a primary object of the invention to provide a foldable bench for use either as a table, a seat or something to stand upon, wherein the folding legs will be held by a single combination latch and clamp both in their erected position and in their collapsed position with great security and such firmness as to be free from shak ing or rattling.
Another object of the invention is to provide a bench in which there is a novel arrangement of the braces with respect to notched legs, whereby the notches of the legs are adapted, when the legs tures It or H of the respective braces is engaged over the pins, the swinging pivotal movement of latch member 2E3 to a position transverse respecting the bench top will secure the braces against displacement and thereupon the tightening of the wing nut l9 will effectively clamp the braces to make the entire structure rigid and rattle-free.
The downwardly tilted end portions 9 of the braces accommodate the angle necessary when the legs are erected as shown in Fig. 1. When the legs are collapsed, as shown in Fig. 3, the end portions 9 of the braces are accommodated in the respective notches 6 and they do not project beyond the plane of the outer faces of the collapsed are collapsed, to receive the ends of the braces. 15. legs.
Still another object of the invention is the prous the e tire bench m y e l p d. 110 a vision of a combination brace, latch and clamp thickness represented by the combined thickness effective on the braces in each of two positions Of t e legs and the top and t e Collapsed s Will thereof to hold the legs erected or collapsed. not y be e d securely but will be clamped by In the drawings: the same combination latch and clamp which is Fig 1 is a tt perspegfive of an t d used to hold them with equal security and rigidity bench embodying the invention. When the legs are erected.
Fig. 2 is a fragmentary detail View in bottom The resulting b ch is 0i ly Stwng but B plan showing the combination latch and clamp. cebt o lly stable and has a variety ofuses, as
Fig. 3 is a View in bottom perspective showing previously d cated.
the device with the legs collapsed for convenient transportation or storage.
To the bench top 4 are hinged the end frames or legs 5, each of which is preferably notched at 6. Identical braces 1 have hinged terminal mounts 8 connecting them with the respective legs 5. At their free ends the respective braces are bent downwardly at 9 and apertured at 6. The braces have other apertures H intermediate their ends.
Upon the lower face of the bench top Q there is a plate l5 which is held to the bench top by screws H5 at its corners and is provided with spaced downwardly projecting pins l'l over which the respective apertures It, H, of the respective braces are selectively engageable.
Midway between the pins ll, the plate l6 carries a threaded stud it upon which there is a wing nut l9. Pivoted on the stud and subject to the thrust of the wing nut is is a combination latch and clamp plate 25 having on its opposite margins oppositely directed notches 2|.
The relative dimensions of member so and the braces and the spacing between pins I! is such that when the wing nut is is loosened and the member 20 is swung to a position of substantial alignment with the longitudinal center line of the bench top 4, the respective braces will be free for engagement with and release from the pins IT, as best shown in Fig. 2. When either of the aper- I claim:
1. A bench comprising the combination with a top having end frames comprising legs pivoted to the lower face of the top adjacent its ends, and brace means pivotally connected with the respective end frames and projecting centrally beneath the top, said top being provided on its lower face with anchorage means with which the respective brace means are selectively engageable in the respective positions of said brace means when the legs are erected and when they are folded, said anchorage means comprising a pair of spaced pins, and a latch member pivoted between said pins and notched for engagement about both of said pins, the respective brace means having apertures at selected points for receiving said pins, said brace means being releasably held on the pins by said latch member.
2. A bench comprising a top and legs pivoted to the top beneath the ends thereof and movable between erected positions, and folded positions in which said legs are collapsed into substantial face contact with the under surface of said top, and brace straps pivotally connected with the respective legs, a centrally disposed threaded stud projecting downwardly from said top, a nut upon said stud, a pivoted latch member on the stud supported by said nut and provided with marginal notches, pins fastened in the top beside the stud and with which the notched margins of the latch member are engageable upon the pivotal movement of said latch member on said stud, said braces having apertures engageable with said pins and adapted to be latched and clamped in place on said pins by the movement of said latch member with its marginal notches receiving said pins and the tightening of said nut; upon said latch member whereby to transmit clamping pressure therethrough to said brace straps.
3. In a bench comprising a top and foldable legs, mechanism for releasably latching and clamping said legs in erected and folded positions, said mechanism comprising braces hinged- 1y connected with the legs and provided with a plurality of apertures, pins with which selected apertures of the respective bracesare engageable in the said positions of the legs, a threaded stud, said pins and stud being connected with and depending from said top in adjacent position, latch means pivoted to the stud and engageable beneath said braces to secure said braces against release from said pins, and a clamping nut upon said stud in supporting relation to said latch means, said latch means being adapted to transmit clamping pressure from said nut to said braces.
4. The combination set forth in claim 3 in which a plate applied to the bottom of the bench top carries said pins and stud.
5. In a bench of the type having a to and legs hinged thereto and braces connected to the legs for holding-the legs in erected or folded positions, the combination with a threaded stud connected to and depending from the top, of a 4 latch plate pivoted on the stud for swinging movement between positions transverse respecting the bench and longitudinal respecting the bench, said latch plate having its opposite margins provided with notches adjacent its opposite ends and pins connected to and dependent from the top and with, i h the re ireibraes a e a e sea and-disposed at such a; radius from said stud as to be engageable beneath said braces by the notched margins of said latch plate, together with means supporting said latch plate on said stud.
6. The combination set forth in claim 5 in which said last mentioned means comprises a clamp nut.
7. The combination set forth in claim 5 in which said stud and pins are mounted on a mounting plate fixed to the top, and the supporting means last mentioned comprises a wing nut on said stud.
FRANCIS J, SCHMIDT.
REFERENCES CITED The following references are of record in the file of this patent UNITED STATES: ,"PATENTS Number Name Date 159,227 Sinclair Jan. 26, 1875 1,585,598 Miner May 18, 1926 2,279,122 Kovalchuk Apr. 7, 1942 FOREIGN PATENTS Number Country Date 262,087 Great Britain Apr. 7, 1927 596,374 France Aug. 8, 1925
|Brevet cité||Date de dépôt||Date de publication||Déposant||Titre|
|US159227 *||26 janv. 1875||Improvement|
|US1585598 *||11 sept. 1925||18 mai 1926||Miner Charles N||Table|
|US2279122 *||10 déc. 1938||7 avr. 1942||Kovalchuk Steve D||Foldable table|
|FR596374A *||Titre non disponible|
|GB262087A *||Titre non disponible|
|Brevet citant||Date de dépôt||Date de publication||Déposant||Titre|
|US3026160 *||26 oct. 1960||20 mars 1962||Bisp William E||Collapsible table|
|US3057670 *||31 juil. 1961||9 oct. 1962||Jack Russo||Collapsible utility table and seat for boats|
|US4501033 *||23 mai 1983||26 févr. 1985||West End And Hub Spring Company||Bed frame having swivel bracket for headboard mounting|
|US4864941 *||24 sept. 1987||12 sept. 1989||Goulter Victor H||Folding workbench with side platform|
|US6431092 *||9 août 2000||13 août 2002||Lifetime Products, Inc.||Portable folding utility table with center support assembly|
|US6530331||12 mars 2002||11 mars 2003||Lifetime Products, Inc.||Portable folding utility table with integral receiving members|
|US6550404||12 mars 2002||22 avr. 2003||Lifetime Products, Inc.||Portable folding utility table with integral table top and lip|
|US6655301||12 mars 2002||2 déc. 2003||Lifetime Products, Inc.||Portable folding utility table with frame connected to integral lip|
|US6832563||10 mars 2003||21 déc. 2004||Lifetime Products, Inc.||Portable folding utility table with integral receiving members|
|US6848370||10 août 2002||1 févr. 2005||Lifetime Products, Inc.||Table with pivotally attached legs|
|US6895872||30 avr. 2003||24 mai 2005||Lifetime Products, Inc.||Portable folding utility table with frame connected to integral lip|
|US7044068||17 mai 2005||16 mai 2006||Lifetime Products,Inc.||Table including a blow-molded plastic table top and an attached frame|
|US7051662||9 oct. 2003||30 mai 2006||Lifetime Products, Inc.||Table with center support assembly|
|US7114453||11 juil. 2005||3 oct. 2006||Lifetime Products, Inc.||Table top with a plurality of closely spaced depressions|
|US7128002||22 août 2005||31 oct. 2006||Lifetime Products, Inc.||Table with integral receiving members|
|US7143702||11 juil. 2005||5 déc. 2006||Lifetime Products, Inc.||Table with foldable legs|
|US7299754||31 mai 2005||27 nov. 2007||Stanford Carl R||Table with receiving members|
|US7299755||15 mai 2006||27 nov. 2007||Lifetime Products, Inc.||Table including a blow-molded plastic table top and an attached frame|
|US7428872||31 mai 2005||30 sept. 2008||Lifetime Products, Inc.||Frame for a table top|
|US7434522||2 oct. 2006||14 oct. 2008||Lifetime Products, Inc.||Table top with a plurality of closely spaced depressions|
|US7461602||4 déc. 2006||9 déc. 2008||Lifetime Products, Inc.||Table with foldable legs|
|US7461603||27 août 2007||9 déc. 2008||Lifetime Products, Inc.||Table including a plastic table top and an attached frame|
|US7464654||30 oct. 2006||16 déc. 2008||Lifetime Products, Inc.I||Table with integral receiving members|
|US7475642||24 sept. 2003||13 janv. 2009||Lifetime Products, Inc.||Table having H-center support assembly|
|US7533619||31 oct. 2007||19 mai 2009||Lifetime Products, Inc.||Table with spaced depressions|
|US7536961||31 oct. 2007||26 mai 2009||Lifetime Products, Inc.||Table including a plastic table top and attached frame|
|US7571686||31 oct. 2007||11 août 2009||Lifetime Products, Inc.||Table with molded plastic table top|
|US7735915 *||10 janv. 2006||15 juin 2010||Lifetime Products, Inc.||Picnic table|
|US7806060||31 oct. 2007||5 oct. 2010||Lifetime Products, Inc.||Table top with a plurality of closely spaced depressions|
|US8042476||25 mai 2009||25 oct. 2011||Lifetime Products, Inc.||Table with molded plastic table top|
|US8069796||10 août 2009||6 déc. 2011||Lifetime Products, Inc.||Table with molded plastic table top|
|US8074582||18 mai 2009||13 déc. 2011||Lifetime Products, Inc.||Table with a table top including a plurality of integrally formed depressions|
|US8375871||4 oct. 2010||19 févr. 2013||Lifetime Products, Inc.||Table top with a plurality of closely spaced depressions|
|US8381665||24 oct. 2011||26 févr. 2013||Lifetime Products, Inc.||Table top constructed from molded plastic|
|US8381666||5 déc. 2011||26 févr. 2013||Lifetime Products, Inc.||Table top constructed from molded plastic|
|US8438982||12 déc. 2011||14 mai 2013||Lifetime Products, Inc.||Table with a table top constructed from molded plastic|
|US8739707||26 févr. 2013||3 juin 2014||Lifetime Products, Inc.||Table top|
|US8904623||26 févr. 2013||9 déc. 2014||Lifetime Products, Inc.||Table|
|US9237801||9 déc. 2014||19 janv. 2016||Lifetime Products, Inc.||Table top with a plurality of closely spaced depressions|
|US20040099189 *||30 avr. 2003||27 mai 2004||Stanford Carl R.||Portable folding utility table with frame connected to integral lip|
|US20040187747 *||23 sept. 2003||30 sept. 2004||Jin Shenghao||Utility table|
|US20040187748 *||24 sept. 2003||30 sept. 2004||Jin Shenghao||Table having H-center support assembly|
|US20040194675 *||23 oct. 2003||7 oct. 2004||Jin Shenghao||Folding table with handles|
|US20040237856 *||23 sept. 2003||2 déc. 2004||Jin Shenghao||Utility table|
|US20040244656 *||9 oct. 2003||9 déc. 2004||Jin Shenghao||Table with center support assembly|
|US20050045074 *||9 juil. 2004||3 mars 2005||Ju-Young Jin||Table|
|US20050211141 *||17 mai 2005||29 sept. 2005||Stanford Carl R||Table including a blow-molded plastic table top and an attached frame|
|US20050268827 *||11 juil. 2005||8 déc. 2005||Stanford Carl R||Table top with a plurality of closely spaced depressions|
|US20050279259 *||31 mai 2005||22 déc. 2005||Strong L C||Frame for a table top|
|US20060000394 *||11 juil. 2005||5 janv. 2006||Stanford Carl R||Table with foldable legs|
|US20060011109 *||22 août 2005||19 janv. 2006||Sanford Carl R||Table with integral receiving members|
|US20060181114 *||10 janv. 2006||17 août 2006||Nye S C||Picnic table|
|US20060266266 *||15 mai 2006||30 nov. 2006||Stanford Carl R||Table including a blow-molded plastic table top and an attached frame|
|US20070034123 *||2 oct. 2006||15 févr. 2007||Stanford Carl R||Table top with a plurality of closely spaced depressions|
|US20070051287 *||30 oct. 2006||8 mars 2007||Stanford Carl R||Table with integral receiving members|
|US20070089650 *||4 déc. 2006||26 avr. 2007||Stanford Carl R||Table with foldable legs|
|US20070164185 *||17 janv. 2006||19 juil. 2007||Robert Burge||Folding legs for removable seats of various vehicles|
|US20080105170 *||31 oct. 2007||8 mai 2008||Stanford Carl R||Table|
|US20080105171 *||31 oct. 2007||8 mai 2008||Stanford Carl R||Table|
|US20080110378 *||31 oct. 2007||15 mai 2008||Stanford Carl R||Table top with a plurality of closely spaced depressions|
|US20080110379 *||31 oct. 2007||15 mai 2008||Stanford Carl R||Table|
|US20090223424 *||18 mai 2009||10 sept. 2009||Stanford Carl R||Table|
|US20090229499 *||25 mai 2009||17 sept. 2009||Stanford Carl R||Table|
|US20110017109 *||4 oct. 2010||27 janv. 2011||Stanford Carl R||Table top with a plurality of closely spaced depressions|
|Classification aux États-Unis||108/132, 248/440|
|Classification internationale||A47C4/00, A47C4/10|
|Classification coopérative||A47B3/0918, A47C4/10|
|Classification européenne||A47B3/091F, A47C4/10|