(i9) United States
(12) Patent Application Publication
Gallagher et al.
(54) ACCESS MODE SWITCH FOR A USER EQUIPMENT OF A COMMUNICATION SYSTEM
(76) Inventors: Michael D. Gallagher, San Jose, CA (US); Milan Markovic, Pleasanton, CA (US); Patrick Tao, San Jose, CA (US); Amit Khetawat, San Jose, CA (US)
ADELI & TOLLEN, LLP
1875 CENTURY PARK EAST, SUITE 1360
LOS ANGELES, CA 90067
(21) Appl.No.: 11/927,638
(22) Filed: Oct. 29, 2007
Related U.S. Application Data
(63) Continuation of application No. 11/778,040, filed on Jul. 14, 2007.
(60) Provisional application No. 60/807,470, filed on Jul. 14, 2006, provisional application No. 60/823,092,
filed on Aug. 21, 2006, provisional application No. 60/862,564, filed on Oct. 23, 2006, provisional application No. 60/949,826, filed on Jul. 13, 2007.
(51) Int. CI.
H04Q 7/00 (2006.01)
(52) U.S. CI 370/331
Some embodiments provide a method of registering a user equipment (UE) in a communication system that includes a licensed wireless communication system and a generic access network (GAN) that has a generic access network controller (GANC). The method sends a register request message from the UE to the GANC that indicates a GAN mode capability of A/Gb only for the UE. When the GANC has a GAN mode capability of A/Gb, the GANC registers the UE with the GAN. When the GANC has a GAN mode capability of Iu only, the GANC rejects the register request message. When the GANC has a GAN mode capability of both A/Gb and Iu, the GANC registers the UE based on a set of GANC mode selection rules that the GANC applies for registering UEs with the GAN.