(19) United States
(12) Patent Application Publication (io) Pub. No.: US 2001/0044587 Al
Conrad et al. (43) Pub. Date: Nov. 22,2001
(54) STIFF SNORING IMPLANT
(75) Inventors: Timothy R. Conrad, Eden Prairie, MN
(US); Mark B. Knudson, Shoreview,
MN (US); Jerry C. Griffin, Chicago,
Attention of Nancy J. Parsons
MERCHANT & GOULD P.C.
P.O. Box 2903
Minneapolis, MN 55402-0903 (US)
(73) Assignee: Pi Medical, Inc., St. Paul, MN (US)
(21) Appl. No.: 09/872,545
(22) Filed: Jun. 1, 2001
Related U.S. Application Data
(63) Continuation ol application No. 09/398,991, filed on Sep. 17, 1999, now Pat. No. 6,250,307.
(51) Int. CI.7 A61N 1/08; A61N 1/10;
A61N 1/18; A61N 1/20; A61N 1/32;
A61N 1/34; A61N 1/40; A61B 5/08
(52) U.S. CI 600/529; 607/42; 128/898
A method and apparatus for treating snoring of a patient includes providing an implant for altering a dynamic response of a soft palate of the patient to airflow past the soft palate. The implant is embedded in the soft palate to alter the dynamic response. For example, the implant has a mass, stiffness or dampening sufficient to alter the dynamic response following the implantation without substantially impairing a function of the soft palate to close a nasal passage of the patient during swallowing.