(19) United States
(12) Patent Application Publication (io) Pub. No.: US 2002/0099439 Al
Schwartz et al. (43) Pub. Date: Jul. 25,2002
(54) VENOUS VALVULOPLASTY DEVICE AND METHOD
(76) Inventors: Robert S. Schwartz, Rochester, MN
(US); Robert A. Van Tassel, Excelsior,
Oppenheimer Wolff & Donnelly LLP
840 Newport Center Drive, Suite 700
Newport Beach, CA 92660 (US)
(21) Appl. No.: 09/968,301
(22) Filed: Oct. 1, 2001
Related U.S. Application Data
(63) Non-provisional ol provisional application No. 60/236,501, filed on Sep. 29, 2000.
(51) Int. CI.7 A61F 2/06; A61F 2/24
(52) U.S. CI 623/1.24; 623/1.23; 623/2.36;
A device 10 and method for replacing or restoring competence to incompetent valves. The device 10 is inserted percutaneously or surgically and is prelerably constructed ol a material capable ol promoting cellular ingrowth such that, eventually, native biologic tissue completely covers the device 10 insulating the blood flow therefrom. The material is prelerably bioabsorbable over time, allowing the device to harbor the regeneration ol a valve structure and to later become absorbed by the body. The device is sized and arranged to mimic the valve it is replacing or repairing.