(19) United States
(12) Patent Application Publication (io) Pub. No.: US 2005/0043798 Al
Eckman (43) Pub. Date: Feb. 24,2005
(54) INTERVERTEBRAL DISK PROSTHESIS METHODS OF USE
(75) Inventor: Walter W. Eckman, Tupelo, MS (US)
AKIN GUMP STRAUSS HAUER & FELD
ONE COMMERCE SQUARE
2005 MARKET STREET, SUITE 2200
PHILADELPHIA, PA 19103-7013 (US)
(73) Assignee: Concept Matrix, LLC
(21) Appl. No.: 10/951,317
(22) Filed: Sep. 27, 2004
Related U.S. Application Data
(62) Division ol application No. 10/345,634, filed on Jan. 16, 2003.
An intervertebral disk prosthesis includes a first part, and the first part has a top, a bottom having an opening, an outer surface, an inner surface and a socket extending into an interior of the first part from the opening and defined by the inner surface. The outer surface proximate the top contacts a concave portion of a first vertebra. The disk prosthesis further includes a second part including a top, a bottom, and an outer surface. The outer surface proximate the bottom contacts a concave portion of a second vertebra, and the outer surface of the second part proximate the top of the second part cooperatively engages the inner surface of the first part thereby allowing at least two-degrees of freedom of movement.