(12) United States Patent ao) Patent No.: us 6,278,720 Bi
Lee et al. (45) Date of Patent: Aug. 21,2001
(54) HIGH POWER SEMICONDUCTOR LASERS WITH RIDGE WAVEGUIDE STRUCTURE
(75) Inventors: Jung Kee Lee; Kyung Hyun Park;
Dong Hoon Jang; Chul Soon Park, all
of Daejeon (KR)
(73) Assignees: Electronics and Telecommunications Research Institute, Daejeon; Korea Telecom, Seoul, both of (KR)
( * ) Notice: Subject to any disclaimer, the term of this patent is extended or adjusted under 35 U.S.C. 154(b) by 0 days.
(21) Appl. No.: 09/119,391
(22) Filed: Jul. 21, 1998
(30) Foreign Application Priority Data
Sep. 29, 1997 (KR) 97-49766
(51) Int. CI.7 H01S 5/10; H01S 5/16
(52) U.S. C I 372/46
(58) Field of Search 372/46
(56) References Cited
U.S. PATENT DOCUMENTS
5,043,291 8/1991 Devoldere et al 437/24
5,160,492 11/1992 Wang et al 437/22
5,469,457 11/1995 Nagai et al 372/45
5,815,522 * 9/1998 Nagai 372/46
5,870,419 * 2/1999 Nakayama 372/46
F.R. Gfeller et al, "High-Power Single-Mode AiGaAs Lasers with Bent-Waveguide Nonabsorbing Etched Mirrors", 1992 American Institute of Physics, Sep. 15,1992, pp. 2131-2135.
M. Sagawa et al., "High-Power, Highly-Reliable Operation of InGaAs/InGaAsP 0.98fim Lasers with an Exponential-Shaped Flared Stripe", Electronic Letters, vol. 32, No. 24, Nov. 21, 1996, pp. 2277-2279.
* cited by examiner
Primary Examiner—-James W. Davie
(74) Attorney, Agent, or Firm—Jacobson Holman PLLC
A 0.98 fim semiconductor laser of a ridge waveguide (RWG) structure includes: to be lengthen the durability of a semiconductor laser by increasing a catastrophic optical damage (COD) level, a ridge having a fixed width and length so that the strip may stop in the position of 30 fim on the basic of end portion of an output facet along length direction of a resonator; and a non-waveguide region in the end portion of both sides of a resonator.
4 Claims, 10 Drawing Sheets