(19) United States
(12) Patent Application Publication (io) Pub. No.: US 2006/0020164 Al
Butler et al. (43) Pub. Date: Jan. 26,2006
(54) EVERTABLE INSERTION TUBE FOR COLONOSCOPE
(75) Inventors: John Butler, Blackrock (IE); Frank Bonadio, Bray (IE); Shane Joseph MacNally, Bray (IE); Lisa Woods, Wicklow Town (IE); Duncan Bell,
Falkenham Ipswich (GB)
KUDIRKA & JOBSE, LLP
ONE STATE STREET
BOSTON, MA 02109 (US)
(73) Assignee: Atropos Limited, Bray (IE)
Related U.S. Application Data
(63) Continuation of application No. PCT/IE03/00110, filed on Aug. 6, 2003.
(30) Foreign Application Priority Data
Aug. 6, 2002 (IE) 2002/0658
Aug. 6, 2002 (IE) 2002/0656
(51) Int. CI.
A61B 1/00 (2006.01)
(52) U.S. CI 600/115; 600/114; 600/159
An evertable tube having a lumen therethrough, an inflation port for inflating the tube, and a self-closing valve at the inflation port. The tube has an inflation port for inflating the tube to grip a member, such as a probe, in the lumen. Advancement of the member, for example through a colon, will then cause eversion of the tube. The inflation port is provided in the form of an aperture in the outer wall of the tube. The valve comprises a sheath extending from the port along a wall of the tube. The sheath may be fixed to the wall of the tube. The sheath may alternatively be integrally formed with the wall of the tube. The sheath extends from the inflation port along the wall of the tube parallel to the longitudinal axis of the tube to an open end of the sheath.