(19) United States
(12) Patent Application Publication (io) Pub. No.: US 2005/0127053 Al
Hayes (43) Pub. Date: Jun. 16,2005
(54) WELDING-TYPE POWER SUPPLY WITH BOOT LOADER
(75) Inventor: L. Thomas Hayes, Oshkosh, WI (US)
CORRIGAN LAW OFFICE
5 BRIARCLIFF CT
APPLETON, WI 54915 (US)
(73) Assignee: Illinois Tool Works Inc.
(21) Appl. No.: 11/006,281
(22) Filed: Dec. 7, 2004
Related U.S. Application Data
(63) Continuation of application No. 10/336,633, filed on Jan. 3, 2003, now Pat. No. 6,849,826, which is a continuation of application No. 09/956,405, filed on Sep. 19, 2001, now Pat. No. 6,504,131.
(51) Int. CI.7 B23K 9/10
A method and apparatus for providing welding-type power are disclosed. They include a source of welding-type power and at least one welding system peripheral. Each includes a network module that has boot loader software. A network is connected to the two network modules, and the network has connection for updates that is capable of receiving software updates. The network connection for updating may be on a user interface module, disposed inside or outside of a housing of the source of welding-type power and may include an RS232 connection. The network modules may include application software. The peripheral may be a wire feeder, a robot interface, or any other peripheral. A second peripheral, with a network module and boot loader software, may also be connected to the network. The updating can occur when the system is powered up. The software update is obtained from a personal computer, a personal digital assistant, or over the internet.