(19) United States
(12) Patent Application Publication (io) Pub. No.: US 2006/0012464 Al
Nitzan et al. (43) Pub. Date: Jan. 19,2006
(54) BATTERY-ASSISTED BACKSCATTER RFID TRANSPONDER
(76) Inventors: Zvi Nitzan, Zofit (IL); Doron Lavee, Karmei Yosef (IL); Gaby Guri, Oranit (IL)
KENYON & KENYON
1500 K STREET NW
WASHINGTON, DC 20005 (US)
(21) Appl. No.: 11/169,702
(22) Filed: Jun. 30, 2005
Related U.S. Application Data
(60) Provisional application No. 60/584,141, filed on Jul. 1,2004. Provisional application No. 60/602,342, filed on Aug. 18,2004. Provisional application No. 60/608,
118, filed on Sep. 9,2004. Provisional application No. 60/614,552, filed on Oct. 1, 2004. Provisional application No. 60/649,561, filed on Feb. 4, 2005.
(51) Int. CI.
H04Q 5/22 (2006.01)
(52) U.S. CI 340/10.1; 342/42; 340/10.4;
A radio frequency transponder includes at least one battery, which is coupled to provide electrical power for operating the transponder and at least one antenna, which is configured to receive and backscatter RF interrogation radiation from an interrogation device. An integrated circuit is arranged to store a code including information and, powered only with energy provided by the battery, to vary a radiation characteristic of the antenna responsively to the code so as to modulate the information onto the backscattered radiation.