(19) United States
(12) Patent Application Publication (io) Pub. No.: US 2005/0038426 Al
Chan (43) Pub. Date: Feb. 17,2005
(54) APPARATUS AND METHOD FOR LIGAMENT FIXATION
(76) Inventor: Kwan-Ho Chan, Lubbock, TX (US)
Mark J. Pandiscio
Pandiscio & Pandiscio
470 Totten Pond Road
Waltham, MA 02154 (US)
(21) Appl. No.: 10/827,908
(22) Filed: Apr. 20, 2004
Related U.S. Application Data
(60) Continuation of application No. 10/202,985, filed on Jul. 24, 2002, which is a division of application No. 09/315,918, filed on May 20, 1999, now Pat. No. 6,562,043.
(60) Provisional application No. 60/086,329, filed on May 21, 1998. Provisional application No. 60/125,745, filed on Mar. 23, 1999.
(51) Int. CI.7 A61F 5/04; A61B 17/56;
A61F 2/30; A61B 17/58
(52) U.S. CI 606/60; 606/53
A jamming retainer for fixing a ligament in a bone tunnel without excessive sideways pressure on the ligament that may result in tissue necrosis the jamming retainer including a substantially rigid body with a bore or loop for receiving a ligament or tendon and a bore or ring for receiving a suture for towing the jamming retainer and ligament or tendon through a bone tunnel. Once positioned, the jamming retainer is fixed in the bone tunnel with an interference screw.