(19) United States
(12) Patent Application Publication (io) Pub. No.: US 2004/0129772 Al
Ramachandran et al. (43) Pub. Date: Jul. 8,2004
(54) CASH DISPENSING AUTOMATED BANKING MACHINE WITH IMPROVED RESISTANCE TO FRAUD
(75) Inventors: Natarajan Ramachandran,
Uniontown, OH (US); Jeffery M.
Enright, Akron, OH (US); Dale H.
Blackson, Canton, OH (US); Zachary
Utz, North Canton, OH (US); Kenneth
Turocy, Akron, OH (US); Jim Booth,
Kimbolton, OH (US); Paul D. Magee,
North Canton, OH (US); Dave Barker,
North Canton, OH (US)
RALPH E. JOCKE
231 SOUTH BROADWAY
MEDINA, OH 44256 (US)
(73) Assignee: Diebold Self-Service Systems, Division of Diebold, Incorporated, North Canton, OH
(21) Appl. No.: 10/721,933
(22) Filed: Nov. 24, 2003
Related U.S. Application Data
(60) Provisional application No. 60/429,478, filed on Nov. 26, 2002. Provisional application No. 60/453,365, filed on Mar. 10, 2003.
(51) Int. CI.7 G06F 17/60
(52) U.S. CI 235/379
An automated banking machine (10) includes a controller (72) in the machine operative to selectively illuminate light emitting devices (118, 126) for purposes of facilitating user operation of the machine. Sensing devices (128) adjacent a card reader slot (28) on the machine enables the controller to detect the presence of unauthorized card reading devices. Structural features adjacent to a card reader slot (242) further reduce the risk of the undetected installation of unauthorized card reading devices.