(12) United States Patent (io) Patent No.: US 6,843,527 B2
Nelson et al. (45) Date of Patent: Jan. 18,2005
(54) MULTI-FUNCTIONAL PORTABLE FOLDING ROCKING CHAIR
(76) Inventors: Gregory G. Nelson, 318 Stonehedge Dr., #22A, Murray, UT (US) 84107; Lynn H. Nelson, 824 N. Tremont St., Trementon, UT (US) 84337
( * ) Notice: Subject to any disclaimer, the term of this patent is extended or adjusted under 35 U.S.C. 154(b) by 151 days.
(21) Appl. No.: 09/796,851
(22) Filed: Mar. 1, 2001
(65) Prior Publication Data
US 2001/0052719 Al Dec. 20, 2001
Related U.S. Application Data
(63) Continuation-in-part of application No. 09/014,062, filed on lan. 27, 1998, now Pat. No. 6,354,657.
(51) Int. C I. A47C 4 00
(52) U.S. CI 297/18; 297/56; 297/129
(58) Field of Search 297/16.1, 16.2,
297/18, 56, 57, 30, 19, 423.24, 423.22, 452.13, 423.28, 423.26, 42, 45, 46, 47, 20, 53, 27, 41, 38, 39
A rocking chair having an elongate flexible seat supported at opposite ends by a pair of oppositely inclined, diagonally disposed frames. Each frame includes a U-shaped tube interconnected connected by a plurality of cross members and is pivotally interconnected with the other at the sides of each intermediate the ends by pairs of upper and of lower siderails. The frames nest one within the other such that the chair may be folded into a compact unit for storage. A fold-out footrest nests within the other frames to act as a back support when the chair is used without the footrest deployed. A pair of wheels can be mounted to the front legs on reversible axles such that when the chair is pinned in the upright position the chair functions as a wheelchair. When the chair is in the folded position with the footrest deployed, the chair acts as a wheeled cart.
32 Claims, 35 Drawing Sheets