(19) United States
(12) Patent Application Publication (io) Pub. No.: US 2006/0032905 Al
Bear et al. (43) Pub. Date: Feb. 16,2006
(54) SMART CARD NETWORK INTERFACE DEVICE
(76) Inventors: Alon Bear, Haifa (IL); Dror Zernik, Haifa (IL)
Daniel J Swirsky
P O Box 2345
Beit Shemesh 99544 (IL)
(21) Appl. No.: 10/518,095
(22) PCT Filed: Jun. 13, 2003 (86) PCT No.: PCT/IL03/00525
Related U.S. Application Data
(60) Provisional application No. 60/389,499, filed on Jun. 19, 2002.
A smart card device is provided which may be directly hooked to a network or Internet via a phone or other communication interfaces. The smart card device includes a smart card reader and a communications interface, such as a MODEM, (54) an infra-red interface, RF, tone, or an Ethernet interface, and a minimal device controller. (52) A system and method for remotely verifying the identification (authentication) of the user of a smart card are also provided, and for completing the remote transaction. The invention supports two key functions (remote authentication and remote secure transaction) which can be carried out while the communication is not interrupted, and specifically (in the case of the telephone) while the call is in progress.