(i9) United States
(12) Patent Application Publication oo) Pub. No.: US 2009/0303112 Al
Alizadeh-Shabdiz (43) Pub. Date: Dec. 10,2009
(54) SYSTEM AND METHOD FOR REFINING A WLAN-PS ESTIMATED LOCATION USING SATELLITE MEASUREMENTS IN A HYBRID POSITIONING SYSTEM
(75) Inventor: Farshid Alizadeh-Shabdiz,
Wayland, MA (US)
60 STATE STREET
BOSTON, MA 02109 (US)
(73) Assignee: Skyhook Wireless, Inc., Boston, MA (US)
(21) Appl.No.: 12/479,723
(22) Filed: Jun. 5, 2009
Related U.S. Application Data
(60) Provisional application No. 61/059,580, filed on Jun. 6, 2008.
(51) Int. CI.
(52) U.S. CI 342/357.01
This disclosure describes a system and method for refining a WLAN-PS estimated location using satellite measurements. In some embodiments, the disclosure relates to a method of determining the location of a WLAN and satellite enabled device by using two or more satellite measurements to refine an initial WLAN based location determination. The method can include estimating a position of the WLAN and satellite enabled device using a WLAN positioning system, gathering satellite location measurements from at least two satellites, determining an uncertainty area around the WLAN location estimate based on the expected error of the WLAN location estimate, wherein the uncertainty area has a plurality of possible location solutions, and determining the device location estimate inside the WLAN location uncertainty that best satisfies the satellite measurements.