(12) United States Patent ao) Patent No.: Us 7,825,894 B2
Park et al. (45) Date of Patent: Nov. 2,2010
(54) DISPLAY DEVICE WITH DISPLAY PANEL PROCESSING INPUT DATA
(75) Inventors: Sang-Jin Park, Yongin-si (KR);
Jong-Whan Cho, Gunpo-si (KR);
Kee-Han Uh, Yongin-si (KR)
(73) Assignee: Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd. (KR)
( * ) Notice: Subject to any disclaimer, the term of this patent is extended or adjusted under 35 U.S.C. 154(b) by 683 days.
(21) Appl.No.: 11/771,282
(22) Filed: Jun. 29, 2007
(65) Prior Publication Data
US 2008/0012999 Al Jan. 17, 2008
Related U.S. Application Data
(62) Division of application No. 10/785,658, filed on Feb. 23, 2004, now abandoned.
(30) Foreign Application Priority Data
Apr. 8, 2003 (KR) 10-2003-0021877
(51) Int. CI.
G09G 3/36 (2006.01)
(52) U.S. CI 345/104; 345/173
(58) Field of Classification Search 345/104,
345/173-175, 179, 182, 183, 204, 87, 88 See application file for complete search history.
(56) References Cited
U.S. PATENT DOCUMENTS
An image display device includes a display surface through which input light is applied from an external object, a color filter having color pixels that are arranged to form a planar surface substantially parallel with the display surface, a substrate having light sensing portions each disposed to face corresponding one of the color pixels, in which the light sensing portion senses light provided through the corresponding color pixel, and a liquid crystal layer disposed between the color filter and the substrate. The substrate includes pixel portions arranged in a matrix form to display images. The light sensing portion includes switching transistors that are respectively controlled by the input light and a gate signal and respectively connected to sensing lines.
12 Claims, 6 Drawing Sheets