(i9) United States
(12) Patent Application Publication
Brendes et al.
(54) METHODS AND SYSTEMS FOR PROVIDING CONVERGED NETWORK MANAGEMENT FUNCTIONALITY IN A GATEWAY ROUTING NODE
(75) Inventors: Dan Alan Brendes, Raleigh, NC (US);
Joseph William Keller, Cary, NC
(US); Seetharaman Khadri, Durham,
JENKINS, WILSON, TAYLOR & HUNT, P. A.
3100 TOWER BLVD., Suite 1200
DURHAM, NC 27707 (US)
(73) Assignee: Tekelec
(21) Appl. No.: 11/986,500
(22) Filed: Nov. 21, 2007
Related U.S. Application Data
(62) Division of application No. 09/770,316, filed on Jan. 26, 2001, now Pat. No. 7,318,091.
(60) Provisional application No. 60/208,523, filed on Jun. 1, 2000.
Disclosed is a communications network element that is capable of routing signaling messages and also performing inter-network management functions in a converged telephony-data network environment. A signaling gateway routing node is adapted to facilitate signaling communication between nodes in a signaling system 7 network and nodes in an Internet protocol (IP) type network. In addition to basic message routing functionality, the signaling gateway routing node is adapted to notify nodes in the IP network when a node in the SS7 network becomes congested or unavailable. In certain cases, the signaling gateway selectively notifies only IP nodes that are concerned with the status of the troubled SS7 node, while in other cases, notification messages are broadcast to all relevant IP nodes. The signaling gateway also serves to filter redundant congestion status queries or polling type messages that are conveyed from IP nodes through to the distressed SS7 node.