(12) United States Patent ao) Patent No.: us 6,601,174 Bi
Cromer et al. (45) Date of Patent: Jul. 29,2003
(54) DATA PROCESSING SYSTEM AND METHOD FOR PERMITTING A SERVER TO REMOTELY PROVIDE A CLIENT COMPUTER SYSTEM'S SETTINGS PASSWORD TO THE CLIENT
(75) Inventors: Daryl Carvis Cromer, Cary, NC (US);
Richard Alan Dayan, Wake Forest, NC
(US); Brandon Jon Ellison, Raleigh,
NC (US); Eric Richard Kern, Durham,
NC (US); Randall Scott Springfield,
Chapel Hill, NC (US)
(73) Assignee: International Business Machines
Corporation, Armonk, NY (US)
( * ) Notice: Subject to any disclaimer, the term of this patent is extended or adjusted under 35 U.S.C. 154(b) by 0 days.
(21) Appl. No.: 09/255,552
(22) Filed: Feb. 22, 1999
(51) Int. CI.7 G06F 11/30; G06F 15/177;
(52) U.S. CI 713/202; 713/1; 713/2;
(58) Field of Search 713/1, 2, 100,
713/200, 201, 202, 261; 709/224, 226, 229, 217, 219, 220
(56) References Cited
U.S. PATENT DOCUMENTS
5,390,324 A * 2/1995 Burckhartt et al.
5,504,905 A * 4/1996 Cleary et al.
5,555,373 A * 9/1996 Dayan et al.
A data processing system and method are described for permitting a server computer system to remotely provide a client computer system's settings password to the client computer system. The client and server computer systems are coupled together utilizing a network. A network settings password is established within the client. The network settings password is required prior to permitting access to system settings included within the client. The client receives the network settings password from the server computer system utilizing the network. Access to the system settings is permitted in response to the receipt of the network settings password. In this manner, the server computer system remotely provides a network settings password to the client computer system.
14 Claims, 5 Drawing Sheets