(io) Patent No.: US 6,813,747 Bl (45) Date of Patent: *Nov. 2,2004
(54) SYSTEM AND METHOD FOR OUTPUT OF MULTIPART DOCUMENTS
(75) Inventor: David D. Taieb, Boston, MA (US)
(73) Assignee: International Business Machines Corporation, Armonk, NY (US)
( * ) Notice: Subject to any disclaimer, the term of this patent is extended or adjusted under 35 U.S.C. 154(b) by 0 days.
This patent is subject to a terminal disclaimer.
(21) Appl. No.: 09/384,089
(22) Filed: Aug. 27, 1999
Related U.S. Application Data
(60) Provisional application No. 60/114,574, filed on Dec. 31, 1998.
(51) Int. CI.7 G06F 17/21
(52) U.S. CI 715/542; 715/531; 715/530
(58) Field of Search 701/542; 715/542,
715/521, 531, 530
(56) References Cited
U.S. PATENT DOCUMENTS
A system and method of identifying the matching or bestmatching font to output text having a sequence of indeterminate languages are presented. Today's operating systems do not provide the native tools and functions to easily display text of unknown language or multiple languages. The complexity of any underlying code that handles a multilingual display is sharply increased due to the text being segmented into multiple text runs. The invention employs character set engine that provides necessary character set guessing functionality, as well as an enumerator module to build a linked list of suitable output fonts to display text from an arbitrary language, and multilingual text. Output can be granted by traversing that list for each portion of the multipart text.
20 Claims, 11 Drawing Sheets