(12) United States Patent ao) Patent No.: us 6,986,153 Bi
Ridderheim et al. (45) Date of Patent: Jan. 10,2006
(54) APPARATUS AND METHOD FOR INSERTION OF MATERIAL IN BROADCASTING
(75) Inventors: Stefan Ridderheim, Sundsvall (SE);
Atma Heerah, Cambridge (GB)
(73) Assignee: Pinnacle Systems, Inc., Mountain View, CA (US)
( * ) Notice: Subject to any disclaimer, the term ol this patent is extended or adjusted under 35 U.S.C. 154(b) by 0 days.
(21) Appl. No.: 09/499,609
(22) Filed: Feb. 7, 2000
Related U.S. Application Data
(63) Continuation-in-part ol application No. 08/809,872, filed as application No. PCT/SE95/01056 on Sep. 18, 1995, now abandoned.
(30) Foreign Application Priority Data
Sep. 16, 1994 (SE) 9403109
(51) Int. CI.
H04N 7/10 (2006.01)
(52) U.S. CI 725/32; 725/36
(58) Field of Classification Search 725/32,
725/22, 35, 36; 348/473, 476, 478, 722 See application file lor complete search history.
A system, apparatus, and method for local insertion ol analog or digital material into a television broadcast signal. A central insertion control unit controls the insertion ol additional material while a remote insertion control unit locally controls the insertion ol the additional material. The central insertion control unit contains a processor, storage media, and an encoder for encoding control and information signals into a broadcast signal. The control signal contains a cue signal for information about play lists, and an action signal for triggering insertion of the additional material. The control signal is encoded into a line of the vertical blanking interval. Once the control is detected by the remote insertion control unit the additional material is played and broadcast.
80 Claims, 6 Drawing Sheets