(12) United States Patent ao) Patent No.: us 6,921,371 B2
Wilson (45) Date of Patent: Jul. 26,2005
(54) ULTRASOUND RADIATING MEMBERS FOR CATHETER
(75) Inventor: Richard R. Wilson, Seattle, WA (US)
(73) Assignee: Ekos Corporation, Bothell, WA (US)
( * ) Notice: Subject to any disclaimer, the term of this patent is extended or adjusted under 35 U.S.C. 154(b) by 62 days.
(21) Appl. No.: 10/684,845
(22) Filed: Oct. 14, 2003
(65) Prior Publication Data
US 2004/0077976 Al Apr. 22, 2004
Related U.S. Application Data
(60) Provisional application No. 60/418,400, filed on Oct. 14, 2002.
(51) Int. CI.7 A61B 17/20
(52) U.S. CI 601/2; 604/22; 600/466
(58) Field of Search 601/2-3; 604/20-22;
(56) References Cited
U.S. PATENT DOCUMENTS
A method comprises providing a substantially planar slab of piezoelectric material having a top surface. The method further comprises drilling a plurality of holes through the top surface and into the slab. The method further comprises making a plurality of cuts through the top surface and into the slab. The cuts form a plurality of polygons that are generally centered about one of the holes. The method further comprises plating the slab with an electrically conductive material. The method further comprises removing the electrically conductive material from the top surface of the slab. The method further comprises cutting the slab substantially parallel to the top surface.
15 Claims, 25 Drawing Sheets