(54) CONTENT DELIVERY NETWORK SERVICE PROVIDER (CDNSP)-MANAGED CONTENT DELIVERY NETWORK (CDN) FOR NETWORK SERVICE PROVIDER (NSP)
(75) Inventors: Timothy N. Weller, Cambridge, MA
(US); Charles E. Leiserson, Cambridge,
(73) Assignee: Akamai Technologies, Inc., Cambridge, MA (US)
( * ) Notice: Subject to any disclaimer, the term of this patent is extended or adjusted under 35 U.S.C. 154(b) by 39 days.
This patent is subject to a terminal disclaimer.
(21) Appl.No.: 12/122,764
(22) Filed: May 19, 2008
(65) Prior Publication Data
US 2008/0222291 Al Sep. 11, 2008
Related U.S. Application Data
(60) Continuation of application No. 11/636,849, filed on Dec. 11, 2006, now Pat. No. 7,376,727, which is a division of application No. 10/114,080, filed on Apr. 2, 2002, now Pat. No. 7,149,797.
(60) Provisional application No. 60/280,953, filed on Apr. 2, 2001.
(51) Int. CI.
(52) U.S. CI 709/224; 709/201; 709/202;
709/203; 709/217; 709/219; 709/223; 709/226;
718/100; 718/105; 370/254
(58) Field of Classification Search 709/201 203,
709/217-219,223-224; 718/100, 105; 705/52,
See application file for complete search history.
A CDN service provider shares its CDN infrastructure with a network to enable a network service provider (NSP) to offer a private-labeled network content delivery network (NCDN or "private CDN") to participating content providers. The CDNSP preferably provides the hardware, software and services required to build, deploy, operate and manage the CDN for the NCDN customer. Thus, the NCDN customer has access to and can make available to participating content providers one or more of the content delivery services (e.g., HTTP delivery, streaming media delivery, application delivery, and the like) available from the global CDN without having to provide the large capital investment, R&D expense and labor necessary to successfully deploy and operate the network itself. Rather, the global CDN service provider simply operates the private CDN for the network as a managed service.
6 Claims, 4 Drawing Sheets