(12) United States Patent ao) Patent No.: Us 7,582,980 B2
Motoike et al. (45) Date of Patent: Sep. 1,2009
(54) DRIVE APPARATUS FOR HYBRID VEHICLE
(75) Inventors: Kazutoshi Motoike, Susono (JP);
Yutaka Taga, Aichi-gun (JP); Masahiro
Kojima, Susono (JP); Masatoshi
Adachi, Susono (JP); Jiro Kaneko,
(73) Assignee: Toyota Jidosha Kabushiki Kaisha,
( * ) Notice: Subject to any disclaimer, the term of this patent is extended or adjusted under 35 U.S.C. 154(b) by 0 days.
(21) Appl.No.: 11/680,269
(22) Filed: Feb. 28, 2007
(65) Prior Publication Data
US 2007/0145747 Al Jun. 28, 2007
Related U.S. Application Data
(63) Continuation of application No. 10/498,828, filed as application No. PCT/IB02/05582 on Dec. 23, 2002, now Pat. No. 7,239,033.
(30) Foreign Application Priority Data
Dec. 26,2001 (JP) 2001-394459
Dec. 26,2001 (JP) 2001-394460
(51) Int. CI.
(52) U.S. CI 290/40 C; 475/5
(58) Field of Classification Search 290/40 C
See application file for complete search history.
(56) References Cited
U.S. PATENT DOCUMENTS
3,732,751 A 5/1973 Berman et al.
3,861,484 A * 1/1975 Joslin 180/65.2
5,823,282 A 10/1998 Yamaguchi
A drive apparatus for a hybrid vehicle is provided with a first motor generator, a power splitting mechanism portion, and a second motor generator. The first motor generator functions mainly as a generator. The power splitting mechanism portion divides the power generated by the engine into power for the first motor generator and power for driven wheels. The second motor generator has an outside diameter that is smaller than the outside diameter of the first motor generator and is arranged on the side of the first motor generator opposite the engine. Further, a speed reducing mechanism portion which has an outside diameter smaller than the outside diameter of the second motor generator and which reduces the rotation speed of the second motor generator is provided on the side of the second motor generator opposite the engine.
50 Claims, 6 Drawing Sheets