(12) United States Patent ao) Patent No.: us 6,497,606 B2
Fong et al. (45) Date of Patent: Dec. 24,2002
(54) INTERACTIVE TALKING DOLLS
(76) Inventors: Peter Sui Lun Fong, Kowloon (HK);
Chi Fai Mak, Kowloon (HK)
( * ) Notice: Subject to any disclaimer, the term of this patent is extended or adjusted under 35 U.S.C. 154(b) by 0 days.
(21) Appl. No.: 10/008,879
(22) Filed: Nov. 8, 2001
(65) Prior Publication Data
US 2002/0052163 Al May 2, 2002
Related U.S. Application Data
(63) Continuation of application No. 09/883,762, filed on Jun. 18, 2001, which is a continuation of application No. 09/685, 527, filed on Oct. 10, 2000, now Pat. No. 6,309,275, which is a continuation of application No. 08/831,635, filed on Apr. 9, 1997, now abandoned.
(51) Int. C I. A63H 3/28
(52) U.S. CI 446/297; 446/175
(58) Field of Search 369/31, 63-67;
434/308, 319-322, 397; 446/175, 268, 297-303,
(56) References Cited
U.S. PATENT DOCUMENTS
3,739,521 A 6/1973 Fox
3,796,284 A 3/1974 Zeigner et al.
4,654,659 A 3/1987 Kubo
4,840,602 A 6/1989 Rose 446/175
4,857,030 A 8/1989 Rose 446/303
4,878,871 A 11/1989 Noto 446/302
4,923,428 A 5/1990 Curran 446/175
A set of interactive toys that perform a sequence of actions in response to one another without external activation other than an initial actuation to begin the sequence of actions. Preferably, each toy has an activation switch and/or a receiver for a wireless signal such as an infrared signal which activates the toy. Upon activation, the toy performs a desired action, such as the enunciation of a speech pattern, and signals another toy to perform a responsive action. Preferably, the toy are capable of performing several different action sequences, such as the enunciation of different conversations, the performance of different movements, etc. Additionally, the toys are programmable by a remote control device. The remote control device either functions as an activation switch, initiating a random or predetermined (yet not user determined) sequence of interactions, or as an interaction selector, such that a desired sequence of actions may be selected.
35 Claims, 11 Drawing Sheets