(19) United States
(12) Patent Application Publication (io) Pub. No.: US 2002/0194365 Al
Jammes (43) Pub. Date: Dec. 19,2002
(54) COMMUNICATION SYSTEM FOR A
CONTROL SYSTEM OVER ETHERNET AND
(76) Inventor: Francois Jammes, Corenc (FR)
Micahel J. Femal, Esq.
Square D Company
1415 South Roselle Road
Palatine, IL 60067-7339 (US)
(21) Appl. No.: 10/120,037
(22) Filed: Apr. 10, 2002
Related U.S. Application Data
(63) Continuation of application No. 09/623,689, filed on Sep. 6, 2000, filed as 371 of international application No. PCT/US99/05675, filed on Mar. 15, 1999.
(60) Provisional application No. 60/078,223, filed on Mar. 16, 1998.
(51) Int. CI.7 G06F 15/16
(52) U.S. CI 709/237; 709/248
A communication system is provided for communication within a control system. The communication system has a plurality of simple devices connected to an intra-level communications network, each simple device being adapted to directly exchange data with the other simple devices. The communications system also has at least one intelligent device connected to the intra-level communications network, each intelligent device being adapted to directly exchange data with each simple device on the intra-level communications networks. The communication system can have a plurality of intra-level communications networks. The intra-level communications networks can be directly be connected by an intra-level core connector or by an interlevel core connector through an inter-level network of the intelligent devices.