(i9) United States
(12) Patent Application Publication (i0) Pub. No.: US 2006/0088945 Al
Douglas et al. (43) Pub. Date: Apr. 27,2006
(54) ELECTROCHEMICAL TEST DEVICE AND RELATED METHODS
(75) Inventors: Joel S. Douglas, Groton, CT (US);
Jeffrey N. Roe, San Ramon, CA (US);
John H. Priest, Everett, WA (US)
WOODARD, EMHARDT, MORIARTY,
MCNETT & HENRY LLP
111 MONUMENT CIRCLE, SUITE 3700
INDIANAPOLIS, IN 46204-5137 (US)
(73) Assignee: Roche Diagnostics Operations, Inc.,
Indianapolis, IN (US)
(21) Appl. No.: 11/287,522
(22) Filed: Nov. 23, 2005
Related U.S. Application Data
(60) Division of application No. 10/224,875, filed on Aug. 21, 2002, which is a continuation of application No. 08/876,812, filed on Jun. 17, 1997, now Pat. No. 6,638,772.
(60) Provisional application No. 60/019,864, filed on Jun. 17, 1996.
(51) Int. CI.
G01N 33/543 (2006.01)
(52) U.S. CI 436/518; 204/450
An electrochemical test device is provided for determining the presence or concentration of an analyte in an aqueous fluid sample. The electrochemical test device includes a working electrode and a counter electrode made of an amorphous semiconductor material. The working electrode is overlaid with a reagent capable of reacting with an analyte to produce a measurable change in potential which can be correlated to the concentration of the analyte in the fluid sample. The test device optionally contains a reference electrode made of an amorphous semiconductor material having a reference material on the reference electrode. The test device electrodes can be constructed on a flexible film substrate, such as a polymeric film or a metal foil coated with a non-conductive coating.