(i9) United States
(12) Patent Application Publication oo) Pub. No.: US 2006/0104058 Al
Chemel et al. (43) Pub. Date: May 18,2006
(54) METHODS AND APPARATUS FOR
CONTROLLED LIGHTING BASED ON A
(75) Inventors: Brian Chemel, Marblehead, MA (US);
Frederick M. Morgan, Quincy, MA
(US); Kevin J. Dowling, Westford, MA
FOLEY HO AG, LLP
PATENT GROUP, WORLD TRADE CENTER
155 SEAPORT BLVD
BOSTON, MA 02110 (US)
(73) Assignee: Color Kinetics Incorporated, Boston, MA (US)
(21) Appl. No.: 11/312,205
(22) Filed: Dec. 20, 2005
Related U.S. Application Data
(63) Continuation-in-part of application No. 11/081,020, filed on Mar. 15, 2005.
(60) Provisional application No. 60/637,554, filed on Dec. 20, 2004. Provisional application No. 60/553,111, filed on Mar. 15, 2004.
Methods and apparatus for controlled lighting based on a reference color gamut that is shared amongst multiple lighting units. A reference color gamut may be determined for multiple lighting units based on spectral power distributions associated with the lighting units. Variable color light or variable color temperature white light subsequently may be generated consistently and predictably amongst multiple lighting units that are each controlled based on the reference color gamut. Lighting commands received by multiple lighting units may be appropriately processed in each lighting unit, based on a predetermined relationship between the lighting commands and the reference color gamut, to ensure consistent and predictable color or color temperature reproduction amongst the multiple units. In one exemplary implementation, the multiple lighting units include LED light sources to facilitate energy efficient generation and versatile control of variable color light or variable color temperature white light, for general purpose illumination and other applications.