(19) United States
(12) Patent Application Publication (io) Pub. No.: US 2004/0197933 Al
Venkataraman et al. (43) Pub. Date: Oct. 7,2004
(54) METHOD FOR IDENTIFYING OR
CHARACTERIZING PROPERTIES OF
(75) Inventors: Ganesh Venkataraman, Bedford, MA
(US); Zachary Shriver, Cambridge,
MA (US); Rahul Raman, Cambridge,
MA (US); Ram Sasisekharan,
Cambridge, MA (US); Nishla Keiser,
Newton, MA (US)
Janice A. Vatland
Wolf, Greenfield & Sacks, PC.
600 Atlantic Avenue
Boston, MA 02210 (US)
(73) Assignee: Massachusetts Institute of Technology,
Cambridge, MA (US)
(21) Appl. No.: 10/760,133
(22) Filed: Jan. 16, 2004
Related U.S. Application Data
(62) Division of application No. 10/356,349, filed on Jan. 31, 2003, which is a division of application No.
09/558,137, filed on Apr. 24, 2000, now Pat. No. 6,597,996.
(60) Provisional application No. 60/130,747, filed on Apr. 23, 1999. Provisional application No. 60/130,792, filed on Apr. 23, 1999. Provisional application No. 60/159,939, filed on Oct. 14,1999. Provisional application No. 60/159,940, filed on Oct. 14, 1999.
(51) Int. CI.7 G06F 19/00; G01N 33/48;
G01N 33/50; G01N 33/543
(52) U.S. CI 436/518; 702/19
The invention relates to methods of identifying and characterizing properties of polymers to provide information about the polymer such as the charge of the polymer, the number and types or characteristics of units of the polymer and the sequence of the polymers. The invention also relates to methods of sequencing polymers such as nucleic acids, polypeptides and polysaccharides and methods for identifying a polysaccharide-protein interaction.