(12) United States Patent ao) Patent No.: us 6,388,458 Bi
Hembree et al. (45) Date of Patent: May 14,2002
(54) SPRING ELEMENT FOR USE IN AN
APPARATUS FOR ATTACHING TO A
SEMICONDUCTOR AND A METHOD OF
(75) Inventors: David R. Hembree; Salman Akram;
Derek Gochnour, all of Boise, ID (US)
(73) Assignee: Micron Technology, Inc., Boise, ID (US)
( * ) Notice: Subject to any disclaimer, the term of this patent is extended or adjusted under 35 U.S.C. 154(b) by 0 days.
(21) Appl. No.: 09/678,562
(22) Filed: Oct. 3, 2000
Related U.S. Application Data
(62) Division of application No. 09/009,169, filed on Jan. 20, 1998.
(51) Int. CI.7 G01R 31/02
(52) U.S. CI 324/755; 324/754
(58) Field of Search 324/754, 755,
324/757, 758, 765
A spring element used in a temporary package for testing semiconductors is provided. The spring element is compressed so as to press the semiconductor, either in the form of a bare semiconductor die or as part of a package, against an interconnect structure. The spring element is configured so that it provides sufficient pressure to keep the contacts on the semiconductor in electrical contact with the interconnect structure. Material is added and/or removed from the spring element so that it has the desired modulus of elasticity. The shape of the spring element may also be varied to change the modulus of elasticity, the spring constant, and the force transfer capabilities of the spring element.
18 Claims, 5 Drawing Sheets