Astonishing Member

Default Anyone read the Fury one shot by Al Ewing that celebrate 60s of Nick Fury?

I read it and it was a fun read, it goes to different eras of Fury, the 40s Howling commando, 60s Superspy, and today. Ewing also does sell you the idea of Nick jr taking over as the super spy and the future of Shield and the meeting between father and son between Nick sr and Nick jr.

Sounds cool .

Although I still feel like no matter how hard they try Fury Jr. just will not catch on.

Incredible Member

Yeah...

To be fair, Ewing wrote a relatively engaging story using what he had. It's just unfortunate that what he had was a character as "messy" as Marcus Johnson.

While I don't mind that his presence was a product of Marvel synergy, I can't help but cringe and every time I'm reminded of how he came about.

Honestly, I'd have taken a mind swap/ emergency cloned body story happening to the original Nick Fury over this whole "JR" thing. Even the porting of Ult. Fury to 616 would have been a better option.

The fact OG Fury is actually a good character with a rich history etc makes it even more insulting (IMO) shoehorning Marcus as the only Fury (in 616) going forward. That said, Ewing's "fix" was relatively decent.

**One thing I'll admit though is the mini series staring Fury Jr by Robinson and ACO's a few years back was actually very good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. White View Post
    Yeah...

To be fair, Ewing wrote a relatively engaging story using what he had. It's just unfortunate that what he had was a character as "messy" as Marcus Johnson.

While I don't mind that his presence was a product of Marvel synergy, I can't help but cringe and every time I'm reminded of how he came about.

Honestly, I'd have taken a mind swap/ emergency cloned body story happening to the original Nick Fury over this whole "JR" thing. Even the porting of Ult. Fury to 616 would have been a better option.

The fact OG Fury is actually a good character with a rich history etc makes it even more insulting (IMO) shoehorning Marcus as the only Fury (in 616) going forward. That said, Ewing's "fix" was relatively decent.

**One thing I'll admit though is the mini series staring Fury Jr by Robinson and ACO's a few years back was actually very good.
    I much rather would have had Frankie Noble as the adversary reflecting Robinson's series over a Rebecca Hargrove. And when OG Nick mentions DaVinci, I was seriously hoping that Hickman's series would be mentioned and that OG Nick would end up part of that group. OG Nick is now management level. Nick Jr. is a field agent.

What I got out of this is that Al Ewing has an idea for Zodiac. And that Amanda Waller and Peacemaker, oops, I mean Maria Hill and Nick, Jr. are coming up with some superhero control group.

It did get Nick from a Watcher position on the moon though which was way too science fiction for him.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

Well, at least the OG is no longer stuck on the moon.
    He could be director of SHIELD again with Marcus as a field agent, but Marvel would rather sideline Fury Sr. so that readers aren’t reminded of the much better character that he is.

Extraordinary Member

It was OK. Nothing about it made me go "WOW!!! OMG that was amazing!!!"
    All I wanted was to be unconditionally loved while never having to work on my flaws. Is that so much to ask?

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

It was really good send off for Nick Fury Sr. hate to him go, but it had to be done because of MCU synergy at least they did it with class.

Time to reread Secret Warriors.

Incredible Member

I love Junior. And I personally don’t have an issue with his origin story, HOWEVER, if it were up to me, I’d retcon it that he always knew he was Nick Fury Junior, and the Marcus identity was an undercover identity that he grew up knowing was a fake identity, to protect not only his mother, but himself.

The new Scorpio is quite fun and easy on the eyes at least.

As far as taking classic Nick off the board for the time being, this is about as good a set-up as you could ask for.

Nick Jr still isn't a quarter of the character his old man was, and referring to him as the world's greatest spy feel like pandering, but maybe they can do something interesting with the guy. Keep trying hard enough and something is bound to work, right?

I just got my hands on a copy. I thought it was pretty good, though I have all the same complaints about JR. that have already been mentioned in this thread.

What I did like is Ewing showcasing his ability to salvage old, obscure characters. Red Hargrove had two appearances in the 60s before he was used in The Marvels Project and then forgotten about. But the Wolverton guy was an obscure 40s character that Ewing not only brought back here, but retconed into one of Red's 60s stories. Once again showing why Ewing is a master at what he does.