• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Those great Mario artworks from Game & Watch Gallery

Gingerbread Man

Paratroopa
From 1997 to 2002, Nintendo remade various Game & Watch games for GB, GBC, and GBA as part of the Game & Watch Gallery series. These titles featured Mario characters in various roles, so you have Bowser casually causing havoc in a garden, Mario and Luigi in a cookie factory, Wario defending a giant statue of himself from Bullet Bills... We don't normally see this in mainline Mario games (nor in spin-offs), yet the crew was perfectly "on-character". I always felt these short adventures were what the Mario crew was up to between one game and another.

And were che character artworks gorgeous! They have a sort of "classic" feeling. While on other titles, everyone was modern and 3D, the Game & Watch Gallery line preserved the classic Kotabe-style artworks. In fact, this was the last bastion of Classic Kong and Donkey Kong Jr., and various characters from Yoshi's Island had a cameo here and there (not to mention Yoshi's Cookies!).

GaWG_group_art.jpg

MarioGoomba.png

G%26WG3_Yoshi_Spitting_Seeds.png

G%26WG3_Toad_and_Goonie.png

Yoshitoad.jpg

ParachuteMario.png

MarioWiki has galleries for GWG 1, 2, 3, 4.

I believe WarioWare and Rhythm Heaven have sort of supplanted the Game & Watch Gallery series -- after 4 titles, most of the great games were remade, and Wario and Rhythm are a "modern take" on the Game & Watch formula. But this cozy, and a bit nostalgic, portrayal of the Mario characters has been sorely missing ever since. Only the 2020 Game & Watch Super Mario Bros. came close (ironically, another G&W-related title!).

Last edited:
Such an underrated series of games. I have a soft spot for G&WG2 especially. This is my favorite artwork:

SceneGW2.png

The game and watch gallery games are awesome to this day. They take the premise of preserving and documenting the G&W games and on top of that remix and revamp them.

But dang are they hard.

Back
Top Bottom