Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Arca Swiss 4x5 Field

Re: Arca Swiss 4x5 Field

Hello All,

I recently got a Discovery and I'm thrilled. Yes, not as compact as a true field camera but still seems light enough.

This is probably a question more for Darren.

I'm looking for a good pack to put the Discovery in. It looks like the Photo Trekker (which looked great) is no longer made (both B&H and Adorama in NYC--where I am--don't have it anymore).

I'd like to keep it on its non-folding rail as I want to keep its quick set-up time. I shoot alot on the streets and quick breakdown/set up is essential.

Can anyone suggest a another good bag that has the space so I don't have to completely break down the Camera?

Thanks,

Colin.

Quote Originally Posted by CHT View Post
    Hello All,

I recently got a Discovery and I'm thrilled. Yes, not as compact as a true field camera but still seems light enough.

This is probably a question more for Darren.

I'm looking for a good pack to put the Discovery in. It looks like the Photo Trekker (which looked great) is no longer made (both B&H and Adorama in NYC--where I am--don't have it anymore).

I'd like to keep it on its non-folding rail as I want to keep its quick set-up time. I shoot alot on the streets and quick breakdown/set up is essential.

Can anyone suggest a another good bag that has the space so I don't have to completely break down the Camera?

Thanks,

Colin.
    Congratz on the Discovery! I really like mine and I think you will find you are getting the Arca-Swiss experience at a fraction of the regular price.

When I had the regular 30cm nonfolding rail I used a LowePro Super-Trekker. That pack was big enough to hold the camera. Note the frame poked the back out a little but it worked.

I hated the Super Trekker. As Comic Book Guy on the Simpsons would say....Worst. Pack. Ever. It is not a backpack, it is luggage with straps. Way too heavy (13 lbs EMPTY)and way uncomforatble. I woud never want to use it in the city as you will be bumping people wearing it and they will be tripping over it when you set it down. I sold mine and never want to see it again.

The new LowePro Trekker 600 might work. I recently got the Trekker 400 and it is too small for the nonfolding rail and could be bigger for even a folded camera. It does carry all the extras well and carries them well. Pack seems lighter than my old Photo-Trekker did.

For use in town, if you got the case the Discovery came with I would say that is the best way to carry it it on a nonfolding rail. Holds the camera with lens attached. Grab it and it goes right on the tripod. Small footprint so it will fit under the tripod too. has enough storage for an extra lens, film, darkcloth, meter. Carrys ok for a shoulder bag.

If you did not get the bag, I'd maybe suggest a soft sided cooler. Put the camera upside down in the center and two thin bags on either side with extras. I think that would work well and not scream camera either. Although it might scream beer, and that could attract the worng element. ;-) See some of Ken Lee's posts for examples of what he does with coolers and soft sided bags.

And even in town the folding rail takes just a few seconds to use. Fantastic (albiet expensive) accessory that I highly reccommend. I only use the old non folding rail when I need more than 30cm of the folding rail.

Hope that helps, check out my blog linked below for more info on the Discovery and feel free to PM or contact me with any questions.
    My Arca-Swiss Camera Blog- The Large Format Camera Blog

My website-WildernessPhotographer

Hi Darren,

Thanks for the quick reply!

I did manage to get the Discovery pack (and the wide angle bellows as well!) along with the camera. It's a little wobbly and doesn't really hold the weight THAT well. I should have mentioned that I'm coming from that and looking for something a little more supportive...

I'll check out the dimensions on the Pro 600 again. I did see that but didn't think it would fit.

I think I DID read your posts when I was hemming & hawing on buying the Discovery earlier this year. Very informative and definitely put a big check in the Plus column for me.

Cheers,

Colin.

Quote Originally Posted by CHT View Post
    Hi Darren,

that I'm coming from that and looking for something a little more supportive...

I'll check out the dimensions on the Pro 600 again. I did see that but didn't think it would fit.

Cheers,

Colin.
    I have yet to see a Pro 600 in person but the listed internal dimensions are 14" wide and 7.5" deep which should hold the Discovery with the rail running across the inside width of the pack. At 7.5" deep the back may bow slightly but it will be less than my not so Super Trekker did. I think it should be do-able. Check it out if a retailer has one.

The listed height is about 19" which would still allow you some room for lenses and other goodies.

I find that the two side pockets on the Pro 400 will hold regular film holders (something like 3 on one side and 4 on the other) but not a Quickload box. The small top pockets will hold a few filters as its about the size for a paperback but not much bigger.

In the short time I have had the Trekker Pro 400 I have found it to carry better than my Photo Trekker AW did and significantly better than the not so Super Trekker AW II did. I would imagine the Trekker 600 to be better for bigger and have even thought of moving up to one myself. So if you get one report back on it.
    My Arca-Swiss Camera Blog- The Large Format Camera Blog

My website-WildernessPhotographer

I've recently bought a Lowepro 650 AW shoulder bag to carry my arca about in. I decided against a backpack as I'll mainly be in cities and not walking all that far from the car. It's a big bag and is heavy when full but it's manageable and I like how everything is readily accessible once it's open.

joseph

That's a good looking bag, but, I looked it up-
    7.7 kilos?
    please tell me that's a typo...
    And where does the tripod go?

I've been through a good few carrying strategies, and eventually found a pretty good one.

I'll photograph it tomorrow-

No, it's nothing like 7kgs when empty. It only weighs about 9-10kgs when full of gear.

I carry the tripod in separate bag which goes over the other shoulder. Keeps me reasonably well balanced if a little overloaded.

joseph

Like everyone else, I've been through a few bags in my time-
    For ease of setup, this is the best I've come up with.
    I've hiked this in the Mourne Mountains, and used it around town, works fine.

Of course, it won't suit everyone, particularly not the requirements of the original poster-

A second bag is needed too, for all the other bits, though something like a messenger bag should be enough- depending on how many lenses and and filters and holders- and other stuff- you need.
    A photographer's jacket might also work-

I haven't tested this to destruction, so don't go blaming me if you do-
    I'd recommend an extra strap, and a stronger strap too-
    Using an extra strap, you can carry it like a backpack, but the main reason is for safety- I've had plastic strap clips break before, but under much heavier load than this.

Of course, this will only work with a lightweight tripod.

The bag is a Gill Drypack, designed for gear stowage on boats-
    it's also available in a 50L size, which might be better.

A second bag could go over the tripod legs, and that should be able to keep the rain out, but I haven't got around to getting a second one yet.

The main advantage here is speed of setup- the camera is ready for use almost as soon as you set it on the ground and remove the cover.

As I said, it won't suit everyone- not even me at times- but then, I don't think the perfect bag exists-

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    And with the price of a decent Sinar F hovering under $300, you'd have to want to waste money -- you'd have to be working for the government -- to buy an Arca for 3x to 15x more.
    Okay, Frank, now you are starting to tick me off.

First, you tell me that buying my Sinar system was good financial decision-making, when I was clearly intending to buy something that would allow me to show off, especially to chicks. After all, my Cambo was fine as long as I didn't mind not being able to focus my shortest lenses or fit it into the back of my Subaru (L.L. Bean edition, of course).

And I am a government employee, and wasting money was my primary goal. Heck, I thought buying that Swiss-made Sinar was just the ticket. Now, I have to hang my head in shame. I didn't overspend. Oh, the shame!

Rick "thinking a search on brand names on ebay will identify which has the best availability of cheap parts and accessories" Denney

So, the OP is looking for a back-packable addition to a Sinar, and nobody has recommended the Shen-Hao XPO? With the quadruple-extension bed, it will collapse tighter and more quickly than a Sinar, weight less, and cost little enough to avoid having to sell the Sinar.

And it will save more money for the OP, because he already has bellows and mounted lenses that can be used on the XPO without modification.

Rick "whose Sinar F is pretty compact, except for all the goodies that go along with it" Denney